On Tuesday March 15, 2016, the Consumer Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade, Commerce and Regional Integration in collaboration with the National Consumers Association will be celebrating World Consumer Rights Day by joining a global campaign to get Antibiotics off the Menu. Other key stakeholders include the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture, SVG Bureau of Standards, SVG Pharmaceutical Association and the SVG Medical Association.
Consumer organizations from around the world, in partnership with Consumers International, will be using World Consumer Rights Day as a platform to appeal to food companies to make a global commitment to consider not serving meat from animals raised with the routine use of antibiotics important to human medicine.
As the Ministry charged with the responsibility to educate and protect the welfare of consumers, the Consumer Affairs Department will be joining the campaign with a number of planned activities aimed at increasing the awareness of consumers. These activities include:
- A Press Release from the Week of the Monday, 7th March, 2016
- We FM Radio programme to discuss the theme “Antibiotics off the Menu” Sunday, 20th March, 2016 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Letter Writing to the private sector by the National Consumer Association on the week of the Monday, 7th March, 2016
- An exhibition on Tuesday, 15th March, 2016 under the Singer side walk from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Face to Face Interactive Radio Programme on NBC Radio on 10th March, 2016 at 8:40 am
- Press Conference on Thursday, 10th March, 2016 at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Conference Room at 10:30 am
- Dissemination of Information to Schools on the theme from the week of the Monday, 7th March, 2016
- Newspaper Article on Friday, 11th March, 2016
The Ministry encourages everyone to join in the celebrations particularly in our exhibition and interactive radio programmes. In addition, the Ministry also urges consumers to be vigilant and to read all labels before making a purchase.