The Governors of St. Vincent and the Grenadines lived in several different houses over the years.
In 1791, Government House was situated somewhere in the area of Calliaqua. When the Governor and staff took refuge in Forte Charlotte in 1795-1797 during the second Carib War, Government House was situated at Montrose. That abandoned house fell in disrepair after the Karib Wars and a new Government House was built in Kingstown on that spot now occupied by CIBC-First Caribbean International Bank. This allowed the Governor easy access to Government offices situated in a nearby building.
In 1828 another Government House was constructed on three acres of land in the Botanic Garden. That building also fell into disrepair. The present Government House was built in 1886 presumably on the same location and serves as the official residence of the Governor General, it is situated at Old Montrose on the outskirts of the city of Kingstown; the building is of a historical nature and has a tripartite gable roof. The walls of the lower storey are of rubble masonry and the upper floor of wood. Entrance to the upper floor is by way of the external masonry staircase.